I will gladly pay a fine of Rs 1, but I will challenge the decision of conviction and punishment: Prashant Bhushan

New delhi date. 31 August 2020, Monday

Senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan has been fined Rs 1 by the Supreme Court in a contempt case. The Supreme Court pronounced its verdict during the hearing on Monday. Prashant Bhushan held a press conference in Delhi on this decision. "I believe in the decision but I will use my legal rights to challenge it," Bhushan said. I will challenge the decision to convict and punish me, this is my right.

"Every Indian wants a strong judiciary. If the judiciary is weak, the country and democracy will be weak," he told a press conference. I thank the people of the country who campaigned in my support.

"I will accept whatever punishment I have said before. I don't mind going to jail," he said. I am willing to pay the fine, I will pay the fine like a responsible citizen. He said he would abide by the Supreme Court order. In my heart I have full respect for the Supreme Court.

"My tweets were not intended to insult the Supreme Court," he said. The issue was not against me or the Supreme Court or any judge. In the meantime I thank all those who supported me. The case has once again turned people's attention to Freedom of Speech. The case proved historic. Hopefully the truth will prevail.

Comments