As a child, Raja Harishchandra Natak had a profound effect on Gandhiji's mind


Ahmedabad, March 8, 2021, Saturday

In addition to epics like Ramayana, Mahabharata, Natyakala has a great contribution in keeping the characters alive with policy values ​​and heroism. World Theater Day is celebrated on March 8, but at one time, theater troupes and theaters were woven into folklore. At a time when cinema was not invented, plays and fiction became a noble means of disseminating information, entertainment and knowledge.

President Mahatma Gandhi has mentioned Raja Harishvandra Natak in his autobiography. The play, which he watched as a child, had a profound effect on his mind. Gandhiji's idea of ​​not leaving the truth even while dying is an echo of Raja Harishchandra's play. Gandhiji wrote in his autobiography that why not all are truthful like King Harishchandra? This was the repetition after watching the play. It is true that Harishchandra suffered the pain and followed the truth. I assumed that Harishchandra must have felt the same grief as shown in the play. I cried a lot remembering Harishchandra's grief. Today it seems to me that even though these were not historical figures, in my opinion characters like Harishchandra and Shravan are alive. If I read those plays even today, I will not be without tears in my eyes even today.


Gandhiji's autobiography also states that he was not fond of reading anything except school text books. Everything should be remembered but it is not good to cheat the teacher even though he does not like to recite or teach. So trying to remember the lesson. The lesson that was so lazy to the mind was left raw. In such circumstances, how can there be anything else to read? But I noticed a book my father had bought. His name was Shravan's Patriarchal Drama. I wanted to read this book of drama and I read it with interest.

At that time, even those who showed pictures in glass were coming from house to house. He also had a vision of hearing. In which he takes his parents on a journey by putting them in a yoke. All of this had a profound effect on my mind. I used to feel like I had to be like Shravan too. The mourning of the parents after the death of Shravan is still remembered today. I had learned his songs and I used to sing with music. Since I was very interested in music, my father also brought a music box.




Comments