When my mother came to America from India, she did not even think that her daughter would become the Vice President

Washington, November 8, 2020, Sunday

Kamala Harris, who has roots in India, has been elected Vice President of the United States along with Joe Biden.

Kamala Harris has thanked her supporters from the bottom of her heart. In her first post-victory speech, she recalled her mother Shyamla Gopalan, saying she had never imagined such a thing when she came to America from India at the age of 19.

"We have a lot of work to do," said Harris. "I am the first woman to be elected to this position, but not the last. The one I would like to thank most for standing here today is my mother, Shyamla Harris. At the age when she came to America from India, she probably had no idea that my daughter would become the Vice President but she had great faith in American values ​​and she knew that anyone in America could get a chance to go ahead.

"Tonight I am thinking of my mother and the women of her generation, horses, women, Asian, white, Latin, and Native American women who have struggled throughout American history to pave the way for the next generation of women," Harris said. This is just the beginning for women and I am not the last woman to reach this position.

It may be mentioned that there is an atmosphere of celebration in the village of Thulasendrapuram in the Thiruvar district of Tamil Nadu, the mother of Kamala Harris. Shyamla Harris is a resident of here.

Comments